The Wedding Week – Rosellen Brown



Rosellen Brown - born May 12, 1939


I think, and I hope I am correct in the reading of this, that Oates has placed a nice piece of experimental literature into this portion of the volume.


This was a difficult read for me. I couldn’t find my way and had a feeling of slowing sinking after treading water with this story. My arms were tired, my legs couldn’t kick and my will – the most important part of the equation was failing.


Looking back, I think I am correct in this observation.


So, what did I get out of or learn from this story...because, of course there is something to learn from each one of these stories.


Well, there is the father/son---son/father relationship here. Again, I think I am reading this correctly.

So, if there is any parallel, anything that I can take out of this story, it is the story triggering the movement of me reflecting on my relationship with my father and what he and we went through, and what he and we are going through now.


The last line of this story brings it together nicely, and is probably what saved it from a savaging.


“I want him to promise me, promise me like a man, not like a shivering rabbit, that he is not going to die.”


So, Brown caused me to sit back for a bit and reflect on the old man...and then to write about it here. I suppose that’s good enough.


Again, it was a rough reading...but we can’t always find treasure.


Score – 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...