Secrets - Deborah Seabrooke





It took a little while for me to get into this story, and as I type this I am conflicted as to whether or not I really enjoyed it. I mean, we have here another story where a character (main) is dealing with the infidelities of one of their parents.
Sure it’s the 1980s and we are still discovering that in the 80s, divorcing and having affairs “was the thing to do”.
It was really until the last 3 or 4 pages that the story presented itself to me differently…as a story of a girl discovering the reality that she is living in.
Why do I see this?
I suppose it has to do with the fish in the hatchery the girl references throughout the story.
The camouflaged brown bass swimming together in their tank, and their “reveal” when they break the surface looking for food from a visitor.
As I read this story, I thought about my own father and his secrets. I’m sure he holds many, but as Alzheimer’s erodes his memory, those secrets will fade away.
I suppose that could be a good thing. There are secrets that we should never know. I’m not sure what secrets he could hold that would really shock me though. I think there is enough separation between us now and I have confronted him on the issues that may have upset me…so I am secure in the knowledge that the secrets he is loosing are not all that important.
I imagine that someday there will be someone in my life that will be looking at the pool of water that is my life and at the swimming fish wondering what they hold…and what will be revealed if one of those fish surfaces for food.
I’m afraid that they will not be pleased with what lies below the surface. They will not see beautiful fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...