It might be about the story...it might not.
Helping - Robert Stone
It's tough out there. Life is tough.
I wonder if there is anyone who lives there life without a struggle of some sort.
Sure, our struggles are relative to our existence and I think that my struggles/problems/issues/challenges are nothing compared to those faced by someone someplace else.
It's almost embarrassing to even think of my life and associate the word tough with it.
But - it's all relative.
I am so very lucky in my life.
I have a job (two actually) that I enjoy.
I have a wife that loves me.
I have a beautiful wonderful son. We have plenty of food to eat. We are all healthy -physically and emotionally.
I do not sit in a cubicle, in a job that I detest.
I do not have coworkers that I loathe.
I do not suffer from PTSD or substance abuse.
I do not self-medicate through food or drink.
I do not fight with my wife.
I am not envious of my neighbors.
I am so fortunate.
I read the news, and it seems that people are so troubled - that they are so unhappy.
There seems to be millions in our society that are challenged with problems that make their lives so difficult. They hate their job, they fight with their spouse, their children are in trouble, they wrestle with mental illness (their own or another's), their finances are shot, they struggle with substances - they want to be better than the Jones'.
There are petty little things that we (M and I) would like to change in our life (house vs. apartment), no student loans...and some stability in my parent's lives. But honestly…this is nothing.
This story – Helping, it’s about love and need and companionship – I have all those and more –
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Man Who Rowed Christopher Columbus Ashore - Harlan Ellison
From the mind of man…human. Some of these stories hit harder than others…leaving a psychic mark that I’ll carry for years. Others pass away...
-
In the contributors notes Louie writes that this story is about his own displacement. I really enjoy what he has to say about the de...
-
James Ferry – ??? It was observed by reviewers of this collection that John Gardner picked authors for this collection that ...
-
Grace Paley Dec. 11, 1922 – August 22 2007 To begin with, it was pleasant to see a story in this volume with the focus on a group of wo...

No comments:
Post a Comment