Dog Stories – Francine Prose





“Dog Stories” comes partly out of my continuing interest in the way people tell their stories – in this case, stories about dogs. … People never talk about nothing, not even when they seem to. There are always secret and interesting reasons for the stories they decide to tell and for the moments at which they choose to tell them.” – Francine Prose

I don’t find myself in the position much to be on the receiving end of a good dog story. Most stories that come my way are through work, and I can’t really call those “stories”.

I suppose a reason that I’m not on the receiving end is that I’m rarely in social situations that allow others to tell me stories. I don’t have a large social circle and most stories that come my way are told to me by my children.

The advice that Prose gives above though can be used with those stories because my kids are great at choosing the times to tell me their stories.

Through this BASS reading exercise, I have found a great spark to tell some of my stories. The story randomly finds its way to me across time and provides the spark to ignite the process of thought. Sometimes this process can last days, weeks or months. Sometimes I can relate to a story immediately.

What is unfortunate though is that I find myself falling into the habit of not reading and in turn, not telling my stories.




2 comments:

  1. I hope I'm the first commentator of 2020. I commented on BASS in March of 2019. I love The Sandstone Farmhouse. You might say I'm an Updike fanatic. I read the Rabbit series so many years ago, so I lost many memories through the relentless passage of time.
    I'm planning to read the "Rabbit Tetralogy" again, starting in February. IMHO Updike was the greatest prose stylist of the twentieth century: close seconds are-Philip Roth, Ian Macewan, and Margaret Atwood.
    I am very impressed with your running records. I used to run a lot, back in the eighties, but I didn't keep up with as long as you have. Bravo! You'll here from me, from time to time because I like the subject matter you choose and your writing. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Molinaro - Thank you for your kind words and support. I really appreciate it. It's through readers like you that I find encouragement. And yes, it looks like you are the first commentator of 2020! Thank you again for your support - it means so much. -Jake

    ReplyDelete

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...