Psychopolis - Ian McEwan





Ian McEwan - June 21, 1948


A new city, strange inhabitants, friends, lovers, experiences.


The name of this story caught my attention because I could directly apply it to a town where I once lived.

Uncomfortable scenes, characters and conversations. I think we’ve all experienced those.

Finding our place in the world. We’ve all been there before.

I really felt that I was in the late 1970’s when I read this short. Words illustrated the feelings I remember as a young child observing the voices colors and shapes of that time. I really didn’t have any sort of “life experience” at that age...but I think that I had the ability to feel the atmosphere, and McEwan did a wonderful job of taking me there.

The west coast of America has always fascinated me. I don’t really have a desire to go there – even for a visit. I view it as a foreign country. I know that McEwan’s characters still live there...and with that certainty, I think I will delay my vist even more.

7 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...