The Faithful – Elizabeth Hardwick



Elizabeth Hardwick (1916-2007)

What a wonderful author Elizabeth Hardwick was, and what wonderful things she did for the American literary community and its adherents.

It’s too bad though that this story did absolutely nothing for me. I was completely lost throughout it and I felt that I had my time wasted.

I wondered aloud what exactly I had read.

I will note that this was published in the New Yorker, and I feel that I can draw a similarity between this story and one of the stupid cartoons that the magazine publishes that no one understands but laugh about when in groups looking at it...just to seem “in the know”.

Really, honestly, what the hell was this?

I’ve got nothing here.

Score – 1 out of 10 (one point because it was published...probably just because you were part of the New York elite).

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Elizabeth Hardwick's work, but now I will.

    Most New Yorker cartoons are perfectly understandable to anyone with an interest in current events, academia, literature or the arts. If you're not interested in any of that stuff, fine. Just don't dump on people who are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous said...
    Hello Anonymous-
    Thank you for your comment. One of the interesting things about this exercise is the opportunity I have to look back and reflect on the stories as well as my personal comments.
    So, upon reflection, I will have to agree with you and revise my position on the New Yorker cartoons. Over the past year, I have been able to read the New Yorker much more closely and you are correct, the cartoons are perfectly understandable and add great value to the publication- and my "snootiness" is inexcusable. Thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...