The Missing Person – Maxine Kumin



Maxine Kumin - Born 6 June 1925

I think it took me a bit longer than usual for me to pick up on what was actually happening in this short. I will give full praise to the author and her editor and the knowledge that the readers of 1970’s didn’t have to be spoon fed to them like so many stories do today. I feel good reading a story like this and not really “getting it” until the last moments.

I mentioned how much I enjoyed the psychological twists and turns with an emphasis on psychosis that stumble across.

I’m sure that this attraction has something to do with my own fear of descending into an altered psychological state. I think what scares me the most is the event that would lead me down that path. There is the very real likelihood the ALZ my father has could make its way to me. Will I know that I am sinking into that state? Will I see the pain and realize the suffering my loved ones will be put through? All of this really fascinates me though.

I noticed after researcher Maxine that the is primarily a poet. It seems that Oates has compiled a collection of authors who have their feet in both rivers of creativity. It really shows in their writing. And how could I not pass on another dig at Solotaroff...his selections were deeply inferior to those by Oates.

Score 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...