The Quarterback Speaks to His God – Herbert Wilner


I started this story and soon realized that it had a sports theme. My automatic switch to dislike stories with sports themes tripped, and I sighed and felt myself sink into the couch and began reading with the thought that I am about to waste more of my life.

I’d say about half way into the book, I came to the realization that this story was starting to grow on me and that I might actually like it. I began to draw parallels with the main character – which is what I am attempting to do in all of these stories – and I saw that one end of the line was pointing at me.

The competitiveness of character, the desire to succeed in the face of physical breakdown, the denial of weakness in a once great athlete. The failure to see that the once high performance body is starting to fail in its deliverance.

In my running, I really push myself. I run far and for long periods of time. In doing so, I feel that my body is getting stronger...parts of my body...the muscles, including the heart, lungs and tendons. But my joints are taking a beating. The cement sidewalks and asphalt roads are just crushing me. I have a difficult time admitting that I may need to take a break. I don’t want to stop, to cut the distance. If anything, I want to run further and longer.

As humans, we have limits to what our bodies can handle. I want to push mine to the edge and further. I force my mind to conquer my body and push it further. I use my mind to heal my sore muscles and stiff joints. I use my mind to convince my body that there is no distance that it cannot run.

I love this daily challenge. It strengthens me. It forces me to see myself as something more than just an average human. I can create a superior specimen.

But in this knowledge, I know that this ability to create exists in all of us. We can all push further, be stronger physically and mentally. The spite and anger that I feel towards humans who let their lives waste away at times feels as if it will overcome me and cause me to say nasty things to those who don’t share my outlook.

Harder, Stronger, Faster and Smarter!

Score 9 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...