Firstborn – Larry Woiwode



Larry Woiwode - October 30, 1941

Another appearance by Mr. Woiwode.

Shit man...I didn’t need to read this story with a pregnant wife and my firstborn on the way.

I try not to draw connections between an invisible hand presenting these stories to me at certain times... because of times...well...like this.

I do not need to read about difficulties in pregnancy and the loss of a child during childbirth.


And, I do not need to read the above from an author that does it with such skill.

Damn, he’s good.

I mean, he had me really reading at a nice little clip.

I know that it is normal for couples to be nervous about their unborn child, and it seems that with all the advancements in technology, the parents are made even more nervous about the health of their child months before the baby is even born.

All sorts of test for various diseases that my mother, and M’s mother, never had to deal with... but it still does not take away from the fact that they worried about the baby growing inside of them.

I have thoughts that I am reading all of these stories in these collections and in magazines so that I will be prepared for the events that I am soon to face. Events that could be similar to what I am reading.

Will M have a difficult time during labor? Will our child be normal? Will the delivery be smooth?

I suppose that I am extra sensitive to these things just because at this time in my life I am in a position where these things are at least a possibility.

How would I have digested this story, if for example, I had read it 15 years ago in college?

I doubt that it would have had the same emotional impact that it does now.

Shit – I just can’t help but think that I am being prepared for something.

I hate this feeling.

Please...please...please let everything be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Way People Run – Christopher Tilghman

  When I was reading and writing here more frequently, I remember the feeling when the story delivered a surprise. I’m not talking about...